Oilers Off-Season Tracker
Craig Mactavish Report Card
Craig Mactavish and the Oilers management have quite a daunting task ahead of themselves this off-season, they need to turn the Edmonton Oilers into a playoff team. Mactavish has set expectations high with his comments about making bold moves and has communicated his view of what the team needs quite effectively.
What I'd like to do is make a list of the key needs of the team as I see them and set a 'score' for each area to give us the ability to grade Mactavish over the course of the off-season.
Team Needs / Areas of Improvement
- Top 6 LW: 20pts - Mactavish will need to sign a legit top 6 forward with NHL experience who has size, grit and skill to get full points.
- 3rd Line Center:15pts - To get full points here MacT will need to land a big 2-way center who can win faceoffs, kill penalties and provide secondary scoring
- Size in the bottom 6: 15pts - The Oilers need 2 or 3 bottom 6 wingers who can contribute secondary 5x5 scoring. Grit and size recommended.
- Top 4 D-man: 20pts - With NHL experience so Belov doesn't count. Full points for a big D-man under the age of 30 with NHL experience who is a good skater and can move the puck.
- Top 6 D-man: 15pts - Top 6 D-man with size.
- Backup Goalie: 15pts - Full points for a goalie with NHL experience who can push Dubnyk
MacT can get a total of 100pts on this list but honestly that would be impossible, anything over 80 I think is a huge success and less than 50 will be an epic fail. I think reasonable expectations would be in the 70pt range. The scoring will obviously be subjective, but I want to make it clear how I determine the score. Here are the 2 aspects of each move I'll be looking at:
- How well does the player fit the need.
- What was the cost: For UFA's this is about term and dollars, for trades its about who gets moved out to bring the new player in.
I'll evaluate the Anton Belov signing in the next couple of days to see how things work out.