The 7 most riveting Canadian playoff series ever staged

The 7 most riveting Canadian playoff series ever staged

Recently, as the NHL's North Division playoffs neared, theScore recounted the twists and turns of one especially memorable all-Canadian series: the ascendant Edmonton Oilers' defeat of the dynastic Montreal Canadiens in 1981. The staggering upset confirmed young Wayne Gretzky was a megastar, and it wasn't much of a struggle. The Oilers outscored the Canadiens 15-6 over a three-game sweep. But Canada's NHL playoff history doesn't lack for drama. Canadian teams have faced off 68 times in past pos

Source: The Score
Date: 2021-05-16

Continue Reading

JONES: Oilers win season finale by avoiding injuries, ready for playoffs

So, how does a head coach of a playoff-bound hockey club evaluate whatever that was that we watched Saturday afternoon? Read More

Source: The Edmonton Sun
Date: 2021-05-16

Continue Reading

Oil Spills: Intel from the other side, Oilers-Jets playoff preview

The Winnipeg Jets enter their first-round matchup with the Edmonton Oilers after having recently gone through a losing skid, losing their second-place perch in the North Division. Read More

Source: The Edmonton Sun
Date: 2021-05-16

Continue Reading

The Edmonton Oilers are going to the Stanley Cup Playoff dance with the goalie who got them here: 9 Things

The Oilers are back in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Unlike 2016, most Edmonton fans won’t just be content that the club has returned to the post-season. After the early exit from the bubble in 2020, just as many followers are nervous about what may lie ahead this Spring. Many post-

Source: Edmonton Journal
Date: 2021-05-16

Continue Reading

Shallow depth

While there were signs of life during the regular season, the Oilers results without McDavid on the ice at even-strength (5v5) were once again poor. With McDavid deployed, the Oilers outscored opponents 64-48, an elite level goal-share of 57.14%. He typically plays for about 35-40% of the team’s total time, within which the Oilers tend to out-shoot and out-chance opponents, spending longer periods of time with the puck in the offensive zone. Without him, for about 60% of the total time, th

Source: The Super Fan
Date: 2021-05-16

Continue Reading

Player grades: Oilers gradullay lose interest in regular season finale, fall 4-1 to Canucks

Canucks 4, Oilers 1 Edmonton Oilers controlled Saturday afternoon’s game for extended stretches, peppering the Vancouver net with a variety of high end scoring chances. But they were unable to solve a red-hot Thatcher Demko in the Vancouver net, as the netminder delivered a number of spectacular saves. The netminder stopped everything he could se

Source: Edmonton Journal
Date: 2021-05-16

Continue Reading

Canucks to seek guidance from Geoff Courtnall as uncertain future looms

Canucks to seek guidance from Geoff Courtnall as uncertain future looms

At the end of the Vancouver Canucks’ farewell tour, coach Travis Green was asked after Saturday’s 4-1 win against the playoff-bound Edmonton Oilers about the play of Matthew Highmore and where the energy forward fits for next season. “Well, as far as the future goes, you know, that’s tough to say,” Green said. There was more to his answer, but that quote applies universally to the Canucks during an end to their National Hockey League season that is so surreal Vancouver has three more

Source: SportsNet
Date: 2021-05-16

Continue Reading

On Second Thought

With 13 minutes remaining in today’s matinee between the Edmonton Oilers and Vancouver Canucks, and with getting through their final game of the season healthy meaning more for the Oilers in the big picture than the final score, I thought Mikko Koskinen was looking like a decent story. With the game tied 1-1 and Koskinen sharp in a goaltending duel with Thatcher Demko, it looked like he’d bounced back nicely from a hideous outing May 6, when he gave up four goals on the first four shots he

Source: Oilers Nation
Date: 2021-05-16

Continue Reading

With calm before the storm over, Oilers ready for intensity of Cup Playoffs

With calm before the storm over, Oilers ready for intensity of Cup Playoffs

EDMONTON — When does a 56-game season begin to feel like a 156-game season? When your team is forced to play its final game on the same day the real fun begins, with the playoffs opening in Washington just hours after the Vancouver Canucks sashayed past the Edmonton Oilers by a 4-1 score. So the Oilers lost. Or did they…? “That game was a win if nobody got hurt,” declared head coach Dave Tippett. “Nobody got hurt, so we’re takin’ a win.” Let the record show, the loss leaves the

Source: SportsNet
Date: 2021-05-16

Continue Reading

Edmonton Oilers turn a bad situation into something very good

There are great regular seasons and there are awful regular seasons, but never has one straddled the line between both like Edmonton’s 56-game run in the COVID-19 North Division. Read More

Source: The Edmonton Sun
Date: 2021-05-15

Continue Reading

2021 NHL Playoffs: Jets vs. Oilers schedule, TV channel, games, scores, guide to the first-round series

In this North Division matchup, the No. 3 Winnipeg Jets will face the No. 2 Edmonton Oilers in the first round.

Source: The Athletic
Date: 2021-05-15

Continue Reading

Crosby reflects on rivalry with Ovechkin and McDavid vs. Matthews

Crosby reflects on rivalry with Ovechkin and McDavid vs. Matthews

/* if ( "1" == true && 'undefined' !== typeof window.getIndexAds ) { var so = {preroll:{1:{1:{siteID:191888},2:{siteID:191889}}}}; adServerUrl = window.getIndexAds( 'http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/ads?sz=640x360&cust_params=domain%3Dsportsnet.ca&iu=%2F7326%2Fen.sportsnet.web%2FVideo&ciu_szs=300x250&impl=s&gdfp_req=1&env=vp&output=vast&unviewed_position_start=1&ad_rule=1&vid=6254265292001&

Source: SportsNet
Date: 2021-05-15

Continue Reading